2009/09/30

Oh those darn church pews!


This is a tribute to my Nana: I love you and I miss you and I'll never forget you. What happened to you wasn't very fair and I still have a hard time thinking about it. Whenever I read this I'll remember what I loved the most about you: your humour.

Some days are fine, and then others are really hard. Hopefully this will help the hard days seem less hard.



So, I was with my step-dad and my sister one day and we were driving up to visit my nana and poppa at their cottage, and to also make a side trip to the beach (which is conveniently located right beside my nana and poppa's cottage).

Before I go any further I should probably explain my nana to you. She was, without a doubt, one of the funniest and most eccentric people I have ever met. She loved to talk, that was all she pretty much did. Because she loved to talk she often talked about the most inane and random things, which often cause my sister and I, as well as our entire family to laugh.

So, we were at the beach and we had a jolly good time. I can't tell you exactly what happened, mostly because I can't remember, but I do remember that we had a good time.

When we got back to the cottage it was suppertime, and while my sister, step-dad and I were at the beach, my nana and poppa drove into town to pick up supper, which was KFC. (Who wants cook when they are at their cottage?) I was cool with this, I mean, I'm not a huge fan of KFC (kind of waaay to greasy for me) but having it once and awhile isn't' that bad.

Anyway, I dug in and started to eat, not really listening to the conversation because it was just my nana blabbering on about nothing in particular. However, something she was talking about caught my attention, not because it concerned me or was of any importance at all, but because it was the most random thing ever.

She was talking about her father and how he used to craft wooden things as well as carve. (Which is not funny, I know, but wait for it...) Then she started talking about how he made/carved some church pews. And then she goes on to tell us a story about when she was a little girl. Apparently the church allowed her father to keep a few pews, and he, not knowing where to put them, (where do you put church pews in your house?) left them out on the front lawn. Then, tourists started to come on to their property to take pictures of the church pew, and even though my nana told them to leave they wouldn't. They would also try to steal these church pews. My nana's face was dead serious and it was obvious that she thought the story made perfect sense.

Now, keep in mind, I'm only telling you what my nana said, and I have no idea if it's actually true, or if she was a few cogs short of a clock. (aka loco)

By this point my sister and I are choking on our foods trying desperately not to burst out laughing (we don't want to hurt our nana's feelings, afterall). How the hell does this type of story come up in a dinner conversation, let alone actually happen? I looked at my stepdad, and his face is also bowed in order to not give away the telltale laughing signs. My nana continues prattling on talking about how the tourists violated her rights and so on.

We, as in everyone who wasn't my nana, couldn't hold it in anymore. We burst half laughing half choking.

I still remember the amused expression on my poppa's face as he told her to shut up and eat her fries.

Priceless.

And that was just an ordinary day with my nana - she was quite the character.

Anyway, the bell just rang so I'm going to jet.

Later gators.

No comments: