2010/02/03

Pet Peeves

I feel like ranting right now. So I'm going to rant.

5-4-3-2-1: Commencing Rant

Everyone has words that they overuse. Like those people who use, “like,” ten times in a sentence?
“He was like, and I was like, and then he was like, what?”
It’s the same as “all.”
“I’m all, and she was all and they were all, whatever.”

I know someone who says “literally” all the time. But she doesn’t mean literally. Literally means “the explicit meaning of something.” And she’ll say, “I literally froze to death.” No you didn’t. You’re standing right in front of me. You literally exaggerated, is what you did.

Some people run out of steam when they’re talking. Instead of finishing their sentence they say, “et cetera, et cetera.” Aren’t you supposed to say it once? Saying it twice is just redundant, redundant. I heard someone say, “dot, dot, dot” at the end of a sentence. They’re speaking their punctuation. That’s like asking: “Do you have the time, question mark?” or “You look great, exclamation point.” “Thanks, I’ve been working out, quote unquote.”

Now, don't get the impression that I'm some sort of grammar Nazi, because I'm the exact opposite. But I do think that people should know the basis, because, do you have any idea what you sound like when you repeat yourself? It sounds like you're unglued! And no one will take you seriously. So please, do us all a favour, including yourself, and learn to speak/write properly. Please.

Same deal with there, their, they're.

No, he doesn't live over their. No, there not playing catch. And no, that's not they're book. No, it's not a hard concept to grasp. But yes, it does make you look bad.

Correcting the world, one like, all, and their/there/they're at a time.

Ending Rant.

No comments: