2010/02/21

Swearing

My mother has a thing about swearing, as most mothers do. However, instead of just ignoring it, as I feel most mothers do, she docks money every time she catches you swearing. (Words such as damn, ass and hell are ok, although they do warrant an eye-twitch and pursing of the lips)

Normally, I do not mind this rule as I do not swear often, and if I do, it's either under my breath or when I am alone and have tripped over something, as I often do. Those who know me personally know this: I often say darn or shoot (like a seven year old) rather than ... well ... you know what.

In fact, one time I casually swore in front of my friend, TJ, and he was utterly appalled, I believe his exact words were, "Oh my god, you swear?! I didn't know you swore!", followed by his jaw dropping beyond the floor.

I personally think that swearing, especially the more serious words, like the f-bomb, make you sound stupid. Come'on. Really? You can't think of any other words to describe your feelings/the situation/whatever than the f-bomb? Granted, even I use it once and awhile, so it's understandable but I am talking about people who feel the need to drop the f-bomb every 20 seconds, just for the sake of saying it: It is so not necessary!

(It should be noted that I am talking about using swear words aloud/in conversation; I have no problem writing swear words because it either 1) is necessary for the character/piece that you are writing or 2) (in the case of one of my previous posts) it brings attention to a certain point that I want to make).

In my opinion, I am the person who suffers the least from my mother's imposition/punishment. Being the sadistic sister I am, I often take pleasure in when my brother and sister swear and mock them/laugh at them (I know, I am SO nice!).

Last Friday, however, was a different story. Do you ever have those days where it is such a bad day that devil inside you materializes and takes over? Where, even though you know what you are doing or saying is unreasonable, you just can't stop it and you keep going, and going, and going? I had one of those days.

Looking back, I think that if anyone outside of my family saw me that morning, whooo-eee, they would be ... speechless. Really. I was awful.

How awful? I broke my record of losing, at most, $2.00 a week because of swearing. I lost .. wait for it .. $8.50 in ONE DAY! (And that's just what my mother heard)

*embarrassed face*

That was a bad day ... I don't know what the point of this post was ... I guess it was kind of a rant/message that appearances can be deceiving (even the classic "good" girl has her bad days). Keep in mind I'm writing this at 12:00 am, and I only got five hours of sleep last night.

Sheesh! You can't expect everything I say to be coherent .. or even have a point at all!

;)

No comments: